Saturday, October 10, 2009

William and Too Much Birthday!

Today was Will's 2nd birthday, observed (really it's the 12th). He has been looking forward to it all week! "Birthday! Yellow cake! Macaroni and hot dogs!" he's been saying. Talking about the grandparents coming, Miss Amy, the presents, the birthday song. I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, not surprised when he said yellow, his favorite color! I of course added some chocolate, but there was plenty of YELLOW. When he came downstairs after his nap, we had yellow and blue balloons up, he loved them! When we served up the macaroni and hot dogs (per his request) he could hardly wait. "Excited! 'Caroni!" he said. Then the cake came. We dimmed the lights, lit the two candles, and sang. He soaked it in and began picking M & M's off the cake while we were still singing! Then, with a little help from Mama, he blew out the candles. THEN we realized that the video camera wasn't working, so we repeated. *grin* And he gobbled up the ice cream and asked for more, but decided to leave the cake, funny boy!
Present time came. He opened a few gifts, enjoyed them, wanted to play. And then the gift from Aunt Polly. A big box, "Love it! Love it!" William was saying even before he saw what was inside. He must have had a hunch. He pulled out a REAL trash can and two REAL orange cones....and the rest of the night was history!!! Obssessed, that's the word. And possessive! He transferred the cones and trash can up and down the hall, over and over. Took the lid off, put it on. Stacked the cones, unstacked them. He could not contain himself! "Trash!! Cones!!" He forgot that anyone else existed. Several other wonderful presents were waiting to be opened, but he couldn't tear himself away! It was so precious and so funny, a memory I'll certainly carry with me! Eleanor was trying so hard to be patient, waiting for him to open the rest of his gifts!
Then bedtime came. "This is not going to go well" - Todd's words, prophetic! I can think of only one tantrum to possibly rival this one. As he was being hauled up the stairs, we told him to say goodnight, and he complied, screaming through his tears, "NIGHT NIGHT JACK!!! LOVE YOU PAPA!!!" The drama and distress lasted a while. Eleanor had to join in by crying for more cake as we tucked her in. OH MY. Well, Polly, you hit a home run!! More pictures coming soon. I praise God daily for William, for his energy and his sweetness. I adore that boy, my boy. Happy birthday to my sweet Will!

On another note, I just finished sewing patches on Eleanor's Awana vest. SEWING. This is coming from the girl whose husband had to show her how to sew a button on! True story. I did sew once as a child - a pillow stuffed with DOG HAIR. Another true story. GAG!!! Anyway, I think tonight I started to redeem myself!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just be glad I didn't give Will a dog hair stuffed pillow for his birthday! Wish I could have been there - miss you all so much!

Garden Girl said...

Oh, Noelle! Thank you so much for sharing this story. It made my morning coffee just that much better by all my giggles!

God bless!