Sunday, June 29, 2014

Book List

I love to read.  When we were younger, my little sister used to grump around telling me, "You have the reading HABIT!"  She ended up getting it, too.  But once I started having kids about 8 years ago, I was doing good to get in a book or two a year, besides some Bible reading!  And of course, a whole bunch of children's books, which I truly love.  This past January, though, a friend inspired me with her list of books she wanted to read this year, and the encouragement that if I made one, too, I would probably find  time to squeeze in some good reading.  I consulted a few friends who are avid readers, thought about some books I had been curious about, and had great fun putting my list together!  And even though I would have told you I had no time to read....some crazy way I've read quite a bit.  Maybe if you don't have a book list, you'll be inspired to make one!

Here's my list, with a teeny tiny bit of commentary on the ones I've finished or am currently reading:

Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung - a quick, practical read full of solid content and some wit, too.

Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick - this one on parenting was slow going because of how much it gave me to think about, and I loved it.  One of my big take-aways was that law never motivates anyone to true and lasting obedience; only GRACE does that!  I recommend this so highly!

Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest by Ed Welch - I'm in the middle of this one.  While I think the book's organization is a little awkward, much of the content has been quite helpful, encouraging me to think more Biblically about God's character and about why I am fearful.  Here is a snippet: "Worry, therefore, is not simply an emotion that erodes our quality of life or a pain to be alleviated.  It is a misdirected love that should be confessed.  It is trying to manage our world apart from God.  It is making life about our needs, desires, and wants."

A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent - I just finished this and I am ready to read it again!!  The book is divided into three sections.  In the first, Vincent lists over 30 reasons to rehearse the Gospel to one's self daily.  The second section is the Gospel in prose, and the third is the Gospel in poetry - beautiful!  Scripture verses are footnoted and fully written out at the bottom of each page.

Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child by Esolen - The most "intellectual" book I've read so far this year.  A piece of cultural criticism, the point of it is obviously that you DON'T want to destroy your child's imagination!  I was inspired to give my children the freedom in childhood to take "reasonable" risks; inspired to continue to make sure they have time to read worthwhile books, time to explore, time to play in creeks, time to watch how ants work!  Esolen wrote about how important it is for kids to understand God-given gender distinctions and he made the point that little boys and little girls don't dream about becoming an adult - adults are boring, "adults pay bills" - but about becoming a man or a woman.  Another chapter I enjoyed was about kids having true heroes.  Slow going for me, I assume because my IQ level does not match that of the author!

Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo - I'm currently reading this one, and just the first chapter really opened my eyes to see just a bit better into the hearts of my kids, and one in particular!  The author lists twenty something ways parents provoke their children to anger, and there were a couple I would not have thought of on my own.

A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis - this is short, a helpful look into one man's loss and grief; very open and a little "raw."

Dove by Robin Lee Graham - the true story of a 16 year old boy who circumnavigated the globe, alone in his little yacht!

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - memoir-ish, with recipes and interesting sidebars.  The author (who is a fantastic writer!) and her family pack up and move to a farm, committing for one year to eat only what they grow/raise, or what is grown/raised locally.  Although I don't agree with all of Kingsolver's views, I loved the book.

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton - This was a hard one to put down!  Historical fiction with a brilliant ending.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer and Barrows - Written as a series of letters and full of endearing characters, so sweet!   I learned some new things, too, about the German-occupied Channel Islands during WW II.  I'll read this one again.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - A classic with detailed character development; the story of a young girl growing up at the turn of the century.  Touching, and I think it captures the feel of a time and a place, while it studies humanity in general.

The Book of the Dunn Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr. - of the fantasy genre, this reminded me of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis on a smaller scale.  I liked it, talking animals and all!

Divergent by Veronica Roth - my piece of pop culture!  About a dystopian society, this was hard to put down until it was finished!  

The Memoirs and Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Doyle - who doesn't love Sherlock Holmes?!  These stories are all short and can stand alone, so I could read one easily before bed.

Emma by Jane Austen - I love the way Jane Austen writes, and this is one I had never read.  I just recently started and feel like I know Emma already.

 The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Burroughs

Instructing a Child's Heart by Tripp

When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper 

Adopted for Life by Moore

Great Expectations by Dickens

A Promise to Return by Elizabeth Byler Younts (my friend wrote this one!)

Real Food on a Real Budget by Langford

They Poured Fire on Us from Heaven by Ajak

Bach: Music in the Castles of Heaven by Gardiner



So there it is!  These books have given me a lot to think and converse about, and it's been exciting to renew my love for reading.   Maybe you'll add one of these to your own list!

No comments: