Monday, November 7, 2011

Abide with Me





Tonight, my Grandma Harriet is dying. I am thinking of many fond memories I have of her...

walking to her house every afternoon to practice piano when I was a little girl without a piano,

feeding the birds on her deck,

listening to her read to me
(The Chronicles of Narnia and The Borrowers were two of our favorite series),

gathering around her piano on Christmas Eve to sing carols while she played,

learning silly songs she had grown up singing (like the Hot Dog Man!),

together finding the first little pasque flowers that poked up in the chilly Colorado springtimes.


Her last 10 years or so have been spent in the shadows of Alzheimers. I am so glad for her that she will soon be Home, with Jesus, free from what has trapped her here.

"I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, tears lose their bitterness.
Where is Thy sting, death? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, abide with me.

Lift up Thy cross before my closing eyes,
Shine through the dark and point me to the skies;
When morning breaks, and earthly shadows flee,
Through life and death, Lord, abide with me."

2 comments:

Scripture and Stories said...

I think of her holding Lucy. How happy she will be.

christian and amanda said...

sorry for the loss of you grandmother. happy for the memories you have. happy, also, that you're blogging again. i'll be checking....oh, I love the Halloween photo.