Thursday, June 26, 2008

On Speaking


Many of you know that Eleanor has been slow in speaking (although she is a great communicator and understands everything). But I am realizing more and more in recent days that much of that is due to her wanting to have control over something! No one can MAKE her talk!

So I say, "Eleanor, can you say 'red'?"
She says, "Nope."
I say, "Can you say 'ball'?"
She says "Nope."
And so the conversation goes.

BUT if I don't ask her to say anything, here are some things she has been saying on her own:
"Daddy, read the book please."
"No potty or poo-poo in there yet" - peering into the potty chair.
"Mommy, come sit here by you."
"What's that?"
"Come on, buddy!" - to the dog.
And so on.

Stinker! At least I know she has the capacity for speech!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

That's great! it's so fun to see milestone after milestone, eh? :-)

There's a little party over at my blog for Feel Good Friday! :-)

Scott said...

Hey it's good to know the sweet E can stand her ground!

Andrew said...

I'm glad BOTH of the kids are making such progress - talking and crawling and all!
I hope you all have a wonderful time in PA! Love you lots!

Maren Berry said...

Cute pics! Wow- it's like you turn around once and everyone's kids are doing all sorts of new things! :) Glad you're feeling better. There's been a nasty something going around within my work lately, too. Blah. Thankfully it seems to be subsiding. Anyway, your kids are darling! :)