Friday, March 7, 2008

A New Career

I've been toying with the idea of a little side career in writing jingles. My sister used to say, "You have a song for EVERYTHING!" I think I was born for this! And now with my own little daughter begging me for songs about YOU NAME IT - from her rocking chair to characters in her books to her sandwich at lunch time - I come up with new little jingles nearly every day. Impressive, huh? Here are samples - off the top of my head - of a few of my lyrics:

"Mr. Bubbles, Mr. Bubbles, no more bubbles in the bath - No Way!" (One of Eleanor's most recent favorites, I must say.)

"Brush, brush, brush your teeth, every night we brush;
We brush the bottoms and the tops,
Brush, brush, brush we must!" (I know, quite clever.)

"Red and green and yellow and blue,
There's the orange bead, too
We like to play with colors, yes, we do!" (Sung while Eleanor plays with her bead maze.)

"Little William, little boy,
You fill my heart with so much joy!
Mama loves you, yes I do,
Little Will-boy I love you!" (A bedtime favorite, and very sincerely sung by me!)

"Here we go up the stairs, on this (fill in the day of the week) morning."
Variation: "Here we go up the stairs, (fill in names of those going up the stairs, including baby dolls, blankets, teethers, toys, dirty laundry...)

Now of course these lyrics fall slightly flat when you can't hear my catchy MELODIES! Just trust me. I try to come up with my own original little tunes, although I must confess that after I wrote my first jingle ("Watching for the deer, watching for the deer, that is why we are here; Watching for the elk, watching for the elk, that is why we are here!" - on the drive to Lake City in the wee hours of the morning) my husband pointed out to me that the melody bore a striking similarity to "Deep and Wide." Well, there's nothing really new now under the sun, is there?! Watch out, jingle land, here I come!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I think you're right. You have a knack. Just tell me one thing: is "Brush, brush, brush your teeth" sung to a tune that somewhat resembles "Row, row row your boat"? ...Just wondering.
I can't wait to see you guys in just one short week!!!

Felipe and Chantelle said...

Hey Noelle...let me know if you need some back-up vocals/harmony for your jingles...I'd love to support your budding jingle career! ;)
Chantelle