Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
- Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh
(and stolen from my friend Elizabeth's blog!)





These two have made me the happiest, most thankful mommy! They are a gift from the Lord, and I am aware of that daily. Today I was home with both of them sick, and I celebrated being their mother! Todd came home from church with a GORGEOUS white orchid plant for me. I just love it. And right now E and W are in bed, and I am drinking a strawberry-fudge milkshake. Wow!

Being a mom has brought me to a completely different place in my fight to truly trust the Lord in EVERYTHING! In ways it has grown and matured that trust. In ways it shows me daily how much I lack in this area.

A couple of months ago I was reading on someone's blog regarding the sex scandal with the NY governor and his call-girl. The women's post I was reading said that she saw a picture of that girl, and that although she knew her actions were completely her own sin and responsibility, she couldn't help but think that she was someone's little girl. That someone had once cut her sandwiches and read her books and held her chubby hand and hoped the very best for her. I read that and I just felt like part of my heart froze! It really made me weep. I pray for daily for Eleanor's and Will's salvation...but right at that moment I think it hit home to me that their eternal futures, their knowing Christ, are the most important thing in the world to me. And although I have a huge, huge influence on them, I cannot save them. I would if I could! In recent weeks I have felt renewed passion in my prayers for them, and also have seen how I need to pray for myself, that I would truly trust God with my children, in every way, desiring HIS glory, Christ's glory, most of all.

A few weeks after I read that post, some friends of friends, a family we had met just a couple of times, lost their 5 1/2 month old son. They have a daughter Eleanor's age, and obviously, their son was Will's age. His name was William, as well, but they called him Billy. Billy's death really, really shook me. My heart broke for this family, and for a couple of weeks I could not escape my imagination as I sat feeding Will, or peeked in on him during a nap. I questioned what my response would be should God take one of my children. And I don't know...but I DO know that God is sovereign and GOOD and that nothing is random. I also know that God gives grace in time of need. Do I have what it takes to face a circumstance like this? I think today, I do not, but I trust that when God gives me a trial, He WILL give me what it takes to survive - and to HONOR HIM - in that moment. Today, he has given me a healthy, beautiful family, and I enjoy all of the time I have with them!

So there are some of my recent Mama-thoughts.

I have always been extremely thankful for my own Mommy...and more than ever now that I have kids!! I understand at least a tiny bit more of all the love, hopes, prayers, time, energy, ETC. that she put into me...and continues to put into me! I know she has sacrificed over and over and over again for me and my siblings...THANK YOU, MOM! My mom taught me many, many things, but most importantly, she and my dad taught me about the saving gospel of Jesus Christ, and exemplified love of Christ and love of others (friends and strangers alike) in their daily lives.

And now that I am married, I also have a fantastic mother-in-law to praise God for! I couldn't ask for a more thoughtful or fun lady to have play this role in my life. AND she gave birth to the world's most perfect man, the man I married! THANK YOU, RUTHIE!

Here are these two amazing and beautiful mothers!


No comments: